Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I suck

Sergeant won't go to sleep at night. Since the arrival of daylight savings time, she hasn't drifted off until between 10:00 and 11:00 every night. My patience is shot and I'm not being a very good mom. I tuck her into bed at 9:00 and then trek up and down the hall every three to ten minutes until she finally goes to sleep. She has every excuse in the book to call me to her room - she needs to be covered up, she can't find her niney (comfort blanket), she's done with her sippy cup of water and she wants me to take it, she's hungry and wants a snack, she's done with her snack, and on and on and on. Finally, last night I completely lost patience, angrily put both our coats on and drove around for about 30 minutes. This was my alternative to "losing it" with her. I haven't been responding to her in a loving manner at night. I'm angry and pissy and resentful when I stop back to her room for the 14th time of the night. I don't know what to do. I'm not a single mom, but I could just as well be. My husband goes to bed at 9:00 and is no help. I feel like a horrible, crappy, mother, but I'm also getting pretty resentful about having NO quiet time in the evening. And spring is a horrible, stressful, busy time for me at work....HELP!

1 comment:

Ms. J said...

Have you tried the Bedtime Technique used by the Supernanny (show on ABC). I swear by it.

I am on a business trip and sitting in a conference session or I would elaborate more. But Supernanny show has a web page and I bet you could find more info there about it.

Hang in there . . . while our issue is not bedtime, there are things that majorly set me off and it can be difficult for me to shake off and regroup, too.